Friday, April 2, 2010

Dreaming in Third Person


What is the point of a second opinion?-Now I am not really asking that question or even assuming that anyone reading these words would be so unlearned as to ask it themselves. BUT I do know how to answer that question and tell you the origin of pop-tarts all in the same couple sentences:) Here it goes: You see, a processed foods company by the name of Post introduced a new product that would keep fresh in its packaging for quite some time while at the same time taste as good as any other sugary pastry. The only problem was that in some board room in whatever building that Post rented out as HQ, some man in a shiny suit decided that people would find it irresistible to put something in their mouth called a "Country Square." (no thank you) He obviously did not get a good second opinion because Kellogg borrowed (stole) Post's failing product and turned it into the ambrosial rectangle of love and sugar with which we stock our pantries today.

In a market where everyone is striving to be different, sometimes you go a little too far with your work and people just ignore it. That is why a second and third opinion are as handy as a manual polaroid camera in a EMP blast. (I do not expect anyone to understand that example.) I for one know that my ideas can be as ugly as a 127 y/o Norwegian body builder in a short purple kilt. I conclude from this that for business and sanity's sake, a second and third person's opinion is always best. Sometimes we all need a friend who will pat you on the back and tell you that your brainchild sucks. Then put that project on the top of your "to don't list." Do not lose hope creatives; Mr. Einstein says that "if at first the idea is not absurd, it is hopeless."

There are many other uses for a third person. You can have a more involved game of Go Fish, you can more easily finish off a extra large double stuffed pizza, or use said person as a temporary light stand. (I've done two of the three. Guess which one is out) When a second opinion just won't cut it, (whatever "it" is) "third person" is there for you. Lets take it a bit further then shall we; would it be too hard for the first person to be the third person?

Last week I was sitting/sleeping in 2nd hour English when I was handed back my essay and told to critique myself and honestly determine the grade I deserve. After weeks of not thinking about it, the paper might as well have been written by someone else. It is a lot easier to find mistakes in other people's work than in your own, but if you concentrate hard and eat your veggies, you can look at your own work as if it were someone else's. I had a third person perspective without even having a third person.

Perspective is one of my favorite literary devices because its good for more than just writing. Its a pretty neat trick to climb out of your face and see yourself in third person. Much easier to make plans and change plans on the go. (I always like third person view in racing games, otherwise I crash and burn far too often.) Its the same with dreams. If I view my dream in first person mode (thats non-turret-wielding-halo-spartan for you gamers) I only see whats in my crosshairs at that moment but when I kick it into Legend of Zelda mode, I have a battle plan and the perspective needed to critique myself and make changes.

Don't just shoot from a different angle, Live with a different angle.

-Josh Haygood, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment