Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Life the Universe and Everything?


How, What, When, and Why? Four common questions. Questions which are also the four biggest hindrances to the propulsion of human advancement. But "why" is that so? "How" do we overcome them? "When" will we know? "What" is the answer? I am a frequent victim of these questions as are countless others? I too impatiently seek the answer. But the truth is really that these questions are the keys of progress. It comes down to a balance--between the known and the unknown, the questions and answers. The balance thankfully, is not as delicate as we seem to think it is. People will fret over the difficulty of trying something new because they don't know how to do it when in truth, experience is the only way to learn. Sometimes you have to free-fall.

Annnnnnnd now seems a good place to throw in this memorable scene from one of my favorite books and movies. Enjoy-


It is important to note that suddenly, and against all probability, a Sperm Whale had been called into existence, several miles above the surface of an alien planet and since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity. This is what it thought, as it fell:


Ahhh! Woooh! What's happening? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I? Okay okay, calm down calm down get a grip now. Ooh, this is an interesting sensation. What is it? Its a sort of tingling in my... well I suppose I better start finding names for things. Lets call it a... tail! Yeah! Tail! And hey, what's this roaring sound, whooshing past what I'm suddenly gonna call my head? Wind! Is that a good name? It'll do. Yeah, this is really exciting. I'm dizzy with anticipation! Or is it the wind? There's an awful lot of that now isn't it? And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello Ground!


I imagine this is similar to what it felt like to be born. My newest little brother, Nathanael Haygood went through that not too long ago and he still has lots of questions. You can see it in his eyes that he's not quite sure what all this is about. Unfortunately for us, we cannot understand his communication well enough to transcribe words onto this blog post. I'm sure that he could teach us a thing or two about not even knowing a thing or two.


Nathanael Mark Haygood
eight pounds of unanswered questions
Nikon D200, Lensbaby Composer w Double Glass Optic
F-8, 1/20 sec, ISO-400

Sometimes leaving questions unanswered lends a sense of intrigue to the visual impact of a photo. One of the reasons I am a fan of Lensbaby photography is the element it gives to a photograph. When I can create a great photograph that leaves someone asking what it is, I have succeeded.

One of my favorite tools of creativity
The Lensbaby Wide Angle Optic



Any Guesses?
Lensbaby Composer w/ 10+ Macro & Wide Angle Optic
F2.8, 1/50 sec, ISO 800

Just like there's calculable settings behind each and every award-winning photograph, there is an answer to every question. Most questions have answers encrypted in books or buried in the great triple Ws, but some are stuck in somebody else's grey crinkled mass of brain-matter. Lately, the answers to my photography questions have taken the form of professionally produced B&W videos, interviews, and live photography workkshops with Chase Jarvis, Joe McNally, and Zack Arias. A fantastic new-ish tool for creatives has been launched recently @ creativelive.com. It is a live classroom online that is constantly spilling out valuable information for creative people directly concerning their craft. It's nice when a query is solved by a gift-wrapped leather-bound guidebook left on your front porch with the answers to all of life's mysteries, but the most important information is gained by experience. Someday, I'd love to stream educational content into the ears and eyes of millions, but stills and words will have to do for now. Questions have answers. Go find them.



Books that may have the answers you are looking for:

(or at least the ones you should be looking for:)





-Josh Haygood








No comments:

Post a Comment